Home World Forum
Stars! AutoHost web forums

Jump to Stars! AutoHost


 
 
Home » Old Game Forums » Quite all Right » Players Reporting Turn Errors
Players Reporting Turn Errors Wed, 30 April 2003 07:43 Go to next message
djhakase is currently offline djhakase

 
Warrant Officer

Messages: 119
Registered: March 2003
Location: Australia

Hello,

I've received messages from two players that have reported two separate issues.

Here's what James Pluck (PapaBear) said:
Quote:

For some reason I can't post to the game forum. I've just downloaded my latest turn file to find that none of my 2409 orders have actioned and I'm still in that year even though the game page shows year 2410.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?


and Iztok Bitenc (Iztok) said:
Quote:

Hi!
I had I problem uploading my turn for the year 2410. Here's an Autohost message I got back. I wouldn't complain but I have lost 4 ships because of that. Can you please do something? I the attrachment is my turn for that year. BR, Iztok


So I'd like to roll this turn back - are there any strong opponents?

I will roll it back at 10:00pm GMT which, for me, will be in 10 hours, so you have until then to post whether it is a good idea or not.

In particular, if I roll back, will it invalidate the .h?? files?

Alex.



they made me do it

Report message to a moderator

Re: Players Reporting Turn Errors Wed, 30 April 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Micha

 

Messages: 2341
Registered: November 2002
Location: Belgium GMT +1
Quote:


Here's what James Pluck (PapaBear) said:
Quote:

For some reason I can't post to the game forum. I've just downloaded my latest turn file to find that none of my 2409 orders have actioned and I'm still in that year even though the game page shows year 2410.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?



I've seen this problem before the past few weeks (at least two other players have come across this), players download their turn from the game page and it's still the previous turn. Don't know what to do about it except to set the page to email the turns to the player. Email does not seem to have the problem (of course too late for the current turn).

Quote:


and Iztok Bitenc (Iztok) said:
Quote:

Hi!
I had I problem uploading my turn for the year 2410. Here's an Autohost message I got back. I wouldn't complain but I have lost 4 ships because of that. Can you please do something? I the attrachment is my turn for that year. BR, Iztok


What message did he get back?

Quote:

So I'd like to roll this turn back - are there any strong opponents?

I will roll it back at 10:00pm GMT which, for me, will be in 10 hours, so you have until then to post whether it is a good idea or not.

In particular, if I roll back, will it invalidate the .h?? files?


Usually I would object since a lot of things might be different in the turn if it was regenned, but this game is far from complex, so for me it's ok. The only thing I've done in the past 10 turns is save+submit and upload. Laughing
The only one(s) who would probably might complain is/are the player(s) who killed Iztok ships ...

Nothing will happen to the .h files, except that you now have data that you normally wouldn't have. So if you scouted a planet in the current turn you have that data, if we go back a turn and you don't scout it you will have the data anyway ...

regards,
mch

Report message to a moderator

Re: Players Reporting Turn Errors Wed, 30 April 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djhakase is currently offline djhakase

 
Warrant Officer

Messages: 119
Registered: March 2003
Location: Australia

Micha wrote on Wed, 30 April 2003 08:03

Quote:

I've just downloaded my latest turn file to find that none of my 2409 orders have actioned and I'm still in that year even though the game page shows year 2410.


I've seen this problem before the past few weeks (at least two other players have come across this), players download their turn from the game page and it's still the previous turn. Don't know what to do about it except to set the page to email the turns to the player. Email does not seem to have the problem (of course too late for the current turn).


It's just occured to me that this may be a web cache problem. Especially as the game is moving quite quickly. James, could you please try downloading it again now, after restarting your web browser?

In the meantime, I will set James to receive by email and send his current turn to him..

Quote:

Quote:

I had I problem uploading my turn for the year 2410. Here's an Autohost message I got back.

What message did he get back?


This:

Quote:

Your qar.x12 arrived as a zero byte size file. It has been deleted. This may mean that the upload process was interrupted before it was completed.


Hmm.. the more I think about this, it seems like something that could have been acted upon before generation. He did miss a turn, that is clear. However I do have information that he lost some very important ships but in the end they are only ships. At this stage, they are quite crucial, but I do not think they will really affect his position in the long run.

I should mention that I try and check that my turn was successfully submitted before I quit, particularly if I made a large amount of changes or if some important alteration to ongoing orders was made.

I'm afraid it seems that Iztok will have to bear with this, as another player over IM mentioned, "it's never a really good thing to revert a turn. Cheating is always close at hand, doing this."


Quote:

Quote:

So I'd like to roll this turn back - are there any strong opponents?



Yes, me, now, it seems.

But still I think Iztok should have a chance to put his case again - privately to me or here if he likes.

The game has been released, I guess this will be a longer turn, and we will keep with this turn. If the last turn was shown to be corrupted, then I will revert tomorrow morning (for me in Aus!) at the same time

Quote:

The only thing I've done in the past 10 turns is save+submit and upload. Laughing

And such my broadcast this turn:
From: The Kurtzers
To: Everybody
Your fifth message. The other ones are building mines, factories and laying minefields.
And if you're not SD, then this is probably your 3rd.
Which is pretty unlikely considering HALF the races playing this game are SD!
What a prickly universe!
General Kurtz

Disclaimer: I don't know PRTs from race files or from Tom Prescott - this is what I've deduced from playing the same way as everyone else.

Oh, and thanks for the .h tip! You're sure helping out a know-nothing newbie host like me! Embarassed



they made me do it

Report message to a moderator

Re: Players Reporting Turn Errors Wed, 30 April 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mitchell is currently offline mitchell

 
Chief Petty Officer

Messages: 71
Registered: November 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I had a similar problem with not getting the right turn file in another game,
It was NOT a cache problem. But Micha is right, email option will always send you the right M file. I just posted a thread on this on the main forum.

The other problem about loosing ships, sounds like the copy protection system is kicking in if he lost ships w/o a battle.

Report message to a moderator

Re: Players Reporting Turn Errors Wed, 30 April 2003 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Micha

 

Messages: 2341
Registered: November 2002
Location: Belgium GMT +1
djhakase wrote on Wed, 30 April 2003 14:31


This:

Quote:

Your qar.x12 arrived as a zero byte size file. It has been deleted. This may mean that the upload process was interrupted before it was completed.


Hmm.. the more I think about this, it seems like something that could have been acted upon before generation. He did miss a turn, that is clear. However I do have information that he lost some very important ships but in the end they are only ships. At this stage, they are quite crucial, but I do not think they will really affect his position in the long run.

I should mention that I try and check that my turn was successfully submitted before I quit, particularly if I made a large amount of changes or if some important alteration to ongoing orders was made.



So his .x file never reached AutoHost, I remember seeing this message before, not sure what I did wrong to get it ... (did I say "wrong"? I never do something wrong! Laughing )
Anyway, if he had checked the AH page he would have seen his diamond didn't get "turned on". ( Shocked Grin ) Best indeed to check, although the message was clear enough.
Anyway, something went wrong with his .x file, possibly Stars! related a bug in save+submit, or maybe web related and somewhere a bug during transit ... I don't know ... Confused

As for ships, compared to the current economies they are expensive indeed and the starting ships are of a very high value at this stage.

Quote:

I'm afraid it seems that Iztok will have to bear with this, as another player over IM mentioned, "it's never a really good thing to revert a turn. Cheating is always close at hand, doing this."


Normally I would agree, but like I said before the game is not too complex at this time. Nobody is crash sweeping with 100s of chaff, there are no battles with 100s of ships where one side can make a different move and alter the outcome, no MTs will change course, no comets will crash, ... At this point almost nothing is random.
However there is indeed the chance of cheating, Iztok has now information of the "future". However if you got his .x file and it is not zero bytes than you could restore the game, upload it (and in that time nobody else changes his turn!) and let it gen the new turn.
Or you let everybody else change his turn ... Of course should he have lost his ships in what else would have been a surprise attack ... Confused

Quote:

Quote:

The only thing I've done in the past 10 turns is save+submit and upload. Laughing

And such my broadcast this turn:
From: The Kurtzers
To: Everybody
Your fifth message. The other ones are building mines, factories and laying minefields.
And if you're not SD, then this is probably your 3rd.
Which is pretty unlikely considering HALF the races playing this game are SD!
What a prickly universe!
General Kurtz


Grin Or first message when filtering out all those lame messages saying: "you build 500 factories on your HW". Wink

Quote:

Oh, and thanks for the .h tip! You're sure helping out a know-nothing newbie host like me! Embarassed


You're welcome, everbody is a newbie at some point and so far you're doing a good job as a host. Things like this (regenning a turn) are a very tricky and delicate matter, you are handling it very well,

regards,
mch


[Updated on: Wed, 30 April 2003 11:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Players Reporting Turn Errors Thu, 01 May 2003 02:37 Go to previous message
PapaBear is currently offline PapaBear

 
Crewman 1st Class

Messages: 21
Registered: February 2003
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand

The turn file that Alex emailed to me works fine. I've uploaded my next .x file. Alex set my turns to email so we'll see what happens Smile

PapaBear (Kossava)



PalmOS Ergo Sum

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: The Kossava
Next Topic: Humorous universe
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 23 15:51:12 EDT 2021