|StarsWine - Stars in BoxedWine on Windows
||Fri, 20 April 2018 18:16 |
Registered: June 2014
|Here I present another effort at getting Stars! to run better in Windows 64-bit: StarsWine 1.0|
1. Unzip the download, go into the extracted folder
2. Run 'stars.bat', wait a little bit
3. Enter your serial number
This is an attempt at better integration and performance with Windows 7, 10, etc. 64-bit: starsbox works fine but has mouse issues that I couldn't fix, and it was sometimes very slow.
The technology used is called BoxedWine (http://www.boxedwine.org/). It is basically a bare-bones x86 emulator that runs just enough of Linux 32-bit internally to run WINE (https://www.winehq.org/) and load up old 16-bit games. BoxedWine is still in heavy development so this may be crashy (but I haven't noticed it yet).
* Large download of 48 MB and extracts to about 200 MB. Better than a full VM but worse than StarsBox
* Stars! cursor changes can be a little weird - like the little hand that drags waypoints might be something else
* If the main window loses focus, emulation stops entirely (maybe this is a feature)
P.S. Please let me know of your experience using it, especially if it is any better or worse than using StarsBox or a full VM
[Updated on: Sat, 21 April 2018 03:36]
Report message to a moderator