|Re: Stars Autohost Client Problems
||Tue, 22 July 2008 18:57 |
Registered: November 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
|(I apologise in advance for any implication of senility my tone or instruction may give )|
Here I'm assuming that:
- Sun Java JRE v1.5.0+ or Sun JDK v1.5.0+ is installed correctly
- ie ahclient.jar runs when you double click it or when you type java -jar ahclient.jar at the command prompt
- ahclient.jar is located at c:\ahclient
- stars.exe is located at c:\stars
- game.m#, game.h# etc are located at c:\stars\mygame - you may not have these files yet, this is OK
These locations are neither where I have them nor the most likely places but they will serve. You may assume that whenever I use a location for any other file eg (c:\ahclient\ahclient.props) that you can safely replace the file's path exactly as you did for the corresponding path above.
1)Clean-up (probably not needed - but a clean slate is easier to work with)
Delete c:\ahclient\*.userprops - be careful of c:\ahclient\.userprops
2)Running AHClient for the first time
Double click ahclient.jar or type java -jar ahclient.jar at the command prompt
AHClient should display:
"The AutoHost Client doesn't appear to be set up yet. Click OK and we'll get the client and a game set up."
AHClient then displays a file dialog titled "Use this Stars! executable"
Use the dialog to select the Stars!2.6jRC4 .exe file and click "Use this Stars! executable"
- You may need to change the file type to *.exe
- You may need to travel to another directory
AHClient then displays the "Add a new game" dialog
Enter the game name *as it appears on AH*
- if the url for the game's page is "http://starsautohost.org/games/pqf2h.htm" then enter "pqf2h" (without the ""s)
- this is also the filename of the game files, ie pqf2h.m# pqf2h.x# etc
- this is case-sensitive
Edit the game files location to match c:/stars/mygame - note the direction of the / (or c:/stars/pqf2h if you're like me)
- if you already have the game files you can enter the location where they are already
- if you don't yet have the game files or what AHClient to use a different location, AHClient will create the directory you specify and get the game files from AH for you.
- the name of the directory doesn't have to be the same as the game name.
Enter your player number - this is the same number that appears in the extension of your game files (ie 5 for game.m5)
Enter your Stars password - this is the password that Stars! asks for when you open this game (not your stars serial code)
If this is your player ID (as opposed to your ally's who has given you his AH upload password so you can view his turn) and you wish to use AHClient to upload your turns(why wouldn't you?) then check the box "upload turn"
- by setting up other players (later) and *not* checking this box, hosts or allies can easily keep an eye on games.
Enter your AH upload/download password
- this should have been sent to you by email from AH, if not you can get it from your game host. They can also change it for you if you wish.
Click "Add game"
AHClient should then display the 'main' AHClient window showing the status of your game, that a turn is available for download and a bunch of buttons "New game", "Launch Stars!", "Download Turns", "Upload Turns" etc.
If you wish to set up additional players, now would be the time to do it via the Options tab and selecting the game in the dropbox. But I digress...
If you use a proxy to access the web, go to the Options tab, Global Options and enter the proxy Host and port #.
On the Games tab:
Clicking "Download Turns" will fetch your game.m# file from AH (probably do this first)
Clicking "Launch Stars!" will open the Stars! game it is beside.
Clicking "Upload Turns" will upload your game.x#
I'll let you explore the rest
If that doesn't work, send me the AH Client log and I'll see what's up.
[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2008 05:44]
Report message to a moderator