Home World Forum
Stars! AutoHost web forums

Jump to Stars! AutoHost


 
 
Home » Primary Racial Traits » WM » WM in a Nubless game?
Re: WM in a Nubless game? Mon, 21 July 2008 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Altruist is currently offline Altruist

 
Commander

Messages: 1005
Registered: August 2005
Location: Berlin
vonKreedon wrote on Mon, 21 July 2008 17:22

Interesting WM article by Darrend, but he completely fails to note the use of Chaff


Definetly.
Nor did he address the disadvantage of heavier mass which comes with the BC's and DN's hull in comparison to CCs and BBs.

As an excuse: It's an old article, at least 7 years old, probably more and he claimed to be a newbie. Buut his ideas about what all can or could be done with BCs are quite inspirating.

Mainly I value this article as a jewel, though, because
1) there are, indeed, almost no articles about WMs (the explanation I've got in mind for this isn't flattering for the usual WM-players ;)
2) the author was able to write and he wrote it even funny. A WM-player with humour... if that's nothing to celebrate (ah, again those bad prejudices of mine).

Now, to throw my 6cent into the discussion:
A WM who gets into the Nub era has failed to win the game during the BC, BB and DN era. If he wasn't able to win during those eras, I can't see a reason why a WM should have more success when his enemies get their hands on Nubians.

But, if I remember correctly, the name of this thread indicates that this discussion should be about a WM in a "Nubless game". A scenario that gives the WM the DN but nobody else anything better than BBs... well, I wouldn't call the WM a weak PRT in need of such an unfair advantage. The WM is a very fine PRT and if played correctly: fast as a QS or HG and with an eye to keep the intitiative on his side, definetly able to be the power to rule the field.

Those discussions concentrating on a single weapon or hull tend to easily become a "Wunderwaffe"-debate: a bit weird and arbitrary and not taking into account that most things in Stars are specific and depending on the situation at hand.
...



[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2008 13:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WM in a Nubless game? Mon, 21 July 2008 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soobie

 
Officer Cadet 3rd Year

Messages: 270
Registered: May 2007
Location: Australia
Altruist wrote on Mon, 21 July 2008 09:07

Let me quote from one of the best and funniest articles about Warmongers:

War Mongering 101 by Darrend Brown

There are dangers to becoming a War Monger. The biggest is that you'll start to lose your sense of imagination. One of the first warning signs is when the natural conclusion to all conversations seems to be the same. Whether you're talking about when to colonize -8% yellows, or who should win Best Actress at the Oscars, if you find yourself thinking "Yes, but I have Dreadnoughts," and thinking it with finality, then you're in trouble.


Yes! If Tom Cruise ever wins another Oscar I'm going to target him with my Dreadnoughts!

Report message to a moderator

Re: WM in a Nubless game? Mon, 21 July 2008 19:40 Go to previous message
magic9mushroom is currently offline magic9mushroom

 
Commander

Messages: 1154
Registered: May 2008
Altruist wrote on Tue, 22 July 2008 03:11

vonKreedon wrote on Mon, 21 July 2008 17:22

Interesting WM article by Darrend, but he completely fails to note the use of Chaff


Definetly.
Nor did he address the disadvantage of heavier mass which comes with the BC's and DN's hull in comparison to CCs and BBs.


Mostly because he doesn't like CAs and therefore considers BC vs BB mass, and because most of the section on DNs is about missile boats IIRC.

Quote:

As an excuse: It's an old article, at least 7 years old, probably more and he claimed to be a newbie. Buut his ideas about what all can or could be done with BCs are quite inspirating.

Mainly I value this article as a jewel, though, because
1) there are, indeed, almost no articles about WMs (the explanation I've got in mind for this isn't flattering for the usual WM-players Wink
2) the author was able to write and he wrote it even funny. A WM-player with humour... if that's nothing to celebrate (ah, again those bad prejudices of mine).


You've definitely got a coupla points there.

Quote:

Now, to throw my 6cent into the discussion:
A WM who gets into the Nub era has failed to win the game during the BC, BB and DN era. If he wasn't able to win during those eras, I can't see a reason why a WM should have more success when his enemies get their hands on Nubians.


I agree to an extent, but there's another side to it too. What if the WM has been winning through those eras and hence has a large numbers advantage going into Nub era? then only a fool would say he's likely to lose. But yes, failure to move before Nubs is a death knell for WMs.

Quote:

But, if I remember correctly, the name of this thread indicates that this discussion should be about a WM in a "Nubless game". A scenario that gives the WM the DN but nobody else anything better than BBs... well, I wouldn't call the WM a weak PRT in need of such an unfair advantage. The WM is a very fine PRT and if played correctly: fast as a QS or HG and with an eye to keep the intitiative on his side, d
...

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: BET
Next Topic: -f WM
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Feb 20 06:49:04 EST 2018